Monday, March 5, 2012

I just want to start this blog off by saying that I do not understand this selection very well at all.  My interpretations are probably all wrong and sound dumb.  Sorry if that happens.

The two men talk about how people come to want democracy and how they create this democracy.  They discuss the different circumstances and factors that shape a person's thinking.  They begin this argument with the discussion over money.  They wonder whether a person's wealth persuades them to consider an oligarchy over a democracy.  They come to the conclusion that it does: the rich like oligarchies and the poor like democracies.  Apparently, rich people hate change and do not like to see the poor gain wealth because that means they are losing wealth.  Once the poor gain money or power, then a democracy can come into being.  As the text says, "Then democracy, I suppose,  comes into being when the poor win, killing some of the others and casting out some, and share the regime and the ruling offices...".  The poor men must fight for this.  The poor men, who can see what inequality is like, also want equality, which helps create democracy.  The rich men do not notice this because it does not affect them.  Plato tries to get the point across that men of democracies are more "good" than those of oligarchies.  The men of democracies see the law of equality while the men of oligarchies do not.  Does this say something about the effect money and power have on a person?  Do these two components make people (as a whole) worse?  Are we evil, or become evil, if we possess these things?  Do they manipulate our minds?


"When a young man, reared as we were just saying without education and stingily, tastes the drones' honey, and has intercourse with fiery, clever beasts who are able to purvey manifold and subtle pleasures with every sort of variety, you presumably suppose that at this point he begins his change from an oligarchic regime within himself to a democratic one."  Honestly, when I break this down in my head, it makes no sense to me, but I like this quote a lot because I think it breaks down all of Book VIII and puts it into this small quote.  I think it is talking about how a person realizes that a democracy is better than an oligarchy and why, or, how a democratic way of thinking comes from an oligarchic way of thinking.  When I try to piece this quote together though, it comes out not making any sense to me or how a democratic way of thinking is the result.  I know Dr. Borck will be able to explain this quote to me, and that is the one question I would like her to answer for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment